If you produce professional photography, gallery quality artwork or colour accurate proofs then the Epson Stylus Pro 4900/7900/9900 range is the series of choice. It represents a pinnacle in colour printing technology with an ultra-high resolution and an incredible colour gamut. It provides outstanding output in a platform that is flexible, reliable and easy to maintain.
The SP-4900 is a 17″ (432mm) Large Format Printer that is designed for photo printing and proofing work. It supports a wide range of roll and sheet media and features an ultra-fine MicroPiezo® Thin Film (TFP) head with Variable Sized Droplet Technology™ for output with superior resolution, gradations and colour density. It uses Epson UltraChrome® HDR all-pigment aqueous ink with an 11 cartridge configuration for premium colour and B&W output that is consistent, predictable and durable. Cartridges feature a high capacity for extended operation with a reduced cost per print. An optional SpectroProofer is available for precision colour management and ISO standard proofing work.
FEATURES AT A GLANCE
- Amazing Print Quality – Epson MicroPiezo 2880x1440dpi TFP head with VSDT enables consistent and predictable output in ultra-high resolution with superior half tones and an optimised ink density.
- Supreme Colour – 11 cartridge Epson UltraChrome HDR ink enables print with a high dMax and exceptionally wide colour gamut that is certified at 98% pantone coverage.
- Outstanding B&W – produces gallery quality black-and-white images with auto switching between Photo & Matte ink for output on different media types.
- Excellent Image Stability – prints dry quickly to become water and scratch resistant. Output can be stored for extended periods with excellent lightfastness*.
- Flexible Operation – supports print speeds up to 30m2/hr on a wide range of media. Handles roll based stock up to 17″ (432mm) wide and sheets up to A2 and above including board up to 1.5mm thick. Supports edge-to-edge and borderless printing.
- Easy to Use – features auto tension control, an auto media management system and a heavy duty auto cutter for roll based stock. Has a colour LCD control panel with integrated help and offers flexible high-speed interfacing.
- Designed for Business – operates with reduced power consumption, uses large cost-effective 200ml ink cartridges, and requires minimum user maintenance. Supplied in various configurations with an optional SpectroProofer and user selectable warranty / support packages. Compatible with a wide range of design, production, workflow management and RIP software.
The Stylus Pro 4900/7900/9900 series features Epson’s patented Thin Film MicroPiezo head technology with an enhanced 2880x1440dpi resolution. Unlike competing mechanisms that are based on heat, the TFP uses an electro-mechanical movement that is not only kinder to the ink chemistry for better imaging with more stable output, but consumes less power, is more flexible and more durable. Micro-fine drop-on-demand nozzles enable superior dot shaping with reduced overspray, more precise placement and volume/density control. The head features a 10 channel construction that is complemented with an advanced LUT (Look-Up-Table) and an 11 cartridge supply system with automatic Matte / Photo Black switching that optimises the dynamic range on different media types. The printer incorporates VSDT (Variable-size Droplet Technology) that enhances image quality with superior half-tones and optimised colour density while also minimising ink consumption. A special coating on the head works in conjunction with self monitoring, cleaning, and alignment systems to ensure predictable, consistent and reliable output with minimal user maintenance.
UltraChrome High Dynamic Range (HDR) ink is an expansion of Epson’s famous K3 family. Using aqueous (water based) all-pigment ink technology, the K3 series produces prints which dry quickly to become water and scratch resistant with an incredible colour gamut and Dmax. The printer automatically switches between Matte and Photo Black to suit the gloss levels on different media types. It mixes the base black with light and light-light black ink to provide the maximum possible tonal range with a neutral grey, excellent balance, reduce bronzing and no colorcasts/colour twist. Colour is stable in just 30 minutes and can remain lightfast for up to 300 years or longer*. HDR ink uses improved Microcrystal Encapsulation™ Technology for a reduced gloss differential and more consistent colour under different lighting conditions. It also extends the gamut range with Vivid Magenta for brighter blues and pinks, Orange for fine facial tones and lighting effects, as well as Green for superior landscape and environmental imaging. Used together the inks provide for an incredible 98% coverage of the Pantone® pallet.
The Stylus Pro range is colorimetric calibrated during assembly to ensure that colour proofs, photographic and fine–art prints from different printers of the same model remain totally consistent. The ink features a colour constancy level of less than DeltaE 1.0 so that prints remain visually consistent when viewed under different lights and lighting conditions. An optional spectrophotometer is available to suit all models in the range. Co-developed with X-Rite®, the SpectroProofer provides extreme measurement accuracy and when driven with an appropriate RIP it enables precision proofing as well as the automation of colour management into operational workflows. It is available with or without a UV-cut filter and mounts directly to the printer with a built-in dryer to accelerate dry-down and reading.
Flexible and Easy to Operate
The SP-4900 is desktop printer with a 17″ (432mm) wide carriage and 4 paper paths. It supports a wide range of media from basic bond to photo and fine-art paper, transparent film to translucent back-lit, canvas to specialist synthetics. It supports roll and sheet based media and has a straight through paper path for solid board up to 1.5mm thick. The printer supports edge-to-edge printing on sheet and roll media, and will print full borderless on roll stocks. It incorporates a front loading cassette that holds up to 250 sheets of paper and accepts roll media via a spindle with integrated 2” & 3” core support. One spindle is shipped with the printer and additional spindles can be ordered as an option along with Roll Paper Belts for users who need to work with multiple media types. The printer features automatic tension control and a high-speed heavy-duty auto-cutter that will handle most stocks including canvas. An integrated barcoding system helps track consumption on rolls while also enabling rapid exchange and automatic re-configuration for different media types.
The Stylus Pro range has been designed for professional and commercial applications. All models feature fast and flexible networking facilities. They have large colour LCD screens with an easy to follow menu system and in-built help. They can be configured remotely and have driver software available to suit most operating systems. The range has been designed to enable volume production with consistent results and minimal maintenance. Ink cartridges are pressurised to ensure maximum output precision and feature an enhanced capacity for extended operation and a reduced cost per print. Printers can be purchased with a range of warranty and support packages to suit different leasing plans and business needs. They are supported by an extensive service network that has been configured for on-site repair.**
* Accelerated testing of prints on specialty photo & fine art media displayed indoors under glass indicates light stability of up to 100 years for colour and 200 years for B&W. If prints are treated and stored appropriately then light stability can be increased to 300 years or longer. IMPORTANT: Actual stability will vary according to the media, image, surface treatment, display conditions, light intensity, humidity and atmospheric conditions. Epson does not provide any warranty or guarantee on the longevity of prints. For further details on light stability and image preservation please visit www.wilhelm-research.com.